Born in Piacenza, Italy 1834. He had experience as an architect, painter and sculptor. Some of his works in Shkodra are, the project proposal for the Catholic Grand Cathedral, the Italian Consulate project, and some mural paintings on the Orthodox Church. In Shkodra he had the vision of introducing the medium of photography, and in 1856 he opened Photographic Studio Marubbi. Finding himself in a promising business activity he recruited two very young assistants, two Rrok Kodheli’s sons, Mati and Kel Kodheli. At the beginning of the 1870s he worked as correspondent of International Publications such as: L’Illustrazione Italiana, La Guerra d’ Oriente and The Illustrated London News. He was the first Art Teacher in the Xaverian College of Jesuits in Shkodra in 1878. Initially he used the wet collodion photo technique and later the dry gelatin photo technique. His legacy in the field of fine-art photography is 4,000 glass plate negatives of different sizes. Pietro Marubbi died in Shkodra, 1903
Kel Kodheli Marubi
Born in Shkoder 1869 ,at a very young age he started to work as an assistant in Pietro Marubbi’s photographic studio. In 1885, like his brother, he was sent by Mr. Marubbi for two years to learn photography in Trieste at Sebastianutti & Benque Studio. After the death of Pietro Maubbi 1903, he inherited the studio and the craft of photography, and in honor of his master, he also kept his last name next to his own family name. Since his young age he became involved in patriotic movements for the country’s independence and this resulted in him being imprisoned several times by Turkish authorities. In 1913, the flag which announced the independence in the Municipality of Shkodra was embroidered by his daughter Bernardina. In 1926 he was appointed the official photographer of King Zog I. His wide photographic activity generally consisted of improvising different events and crafts in the environment of the studio. His legacy in the field of photography is over 34,000 glass plate negatives of different sizes. Kel Marubi died in Shkodra 1940
Born in Shkoder 1907. In 1923 his father sent him to study photography at The Lumière Brothers School in Paris. Upon his return in 1927 he started to work as a photographer together with his father. His photos feature important people and events in the Albanian history. Gega was first to apply infrared photography in Albania. His photography is different from his father the use of light, with more contrast and somehow more cinematographic. In 1937 he earned the golden medal Fiera del Levante in Bari Italy. In 1952 Marubi’s studio became a stateowned property confiscated by Albanian State at that time. In 1970, he donated to the Albanian Government his family’s photographic archive and was and was put in charge of the Photo Arkive Marubi. He worked in the studio to register and archive the fund untill he died in 1984. His legacy in the field of fine-art photography is over 51.000 glass plate negatives and celluloids of different sizes.